OPEN BOOK MANAGEMENT ARTICLE
Some Internet hotlinks on the subject of "open-book management"(OBM)
- The Foundation for Enterprise Development has a website at which they publish an "e-zine". They have about three articles in each months issue that touch on different areas of high-performance management. I can strongly recommend scanning through their past issues for good articles and transcripts of speeches. Apropos to OBM go to http://www.fed.org/leading-companies/Nov96/motiv.htm
- A consulting firm out of Australia, the Nestadt group, has a website on all aspects of OBM which a discussion forum option, etc, go to http://www.nestadt.com.au/openb.html
- John Case, who authored the best book to date specifically on the subject of OBM has a site which offers other stuff related to OBM. It appears a bit dated, but interesting at http://www.shrm.org/hrmagazine/articles/0296obr.htm
For references that touch on the subject matter of the eight points that are mentioned under the sub-heading "the open book prescription" in my article entitled "Closed-Book Management Equals Death", they follow below. The numbers correspond with the eight points in the article.
- On the how tos of sharing the numbers with all of the employees check out:
- The MCG article #5.31 entitled "Share the Secret Profit is a Clean Word"
- The book by Jack Stack entitled - "The Great Game of Business".
Click here for an MCG book review.
- The book by John Case entitled - "Open-Book Management; The Coming
Business Revolution." Click here for an MCG book review.
- On more complete scoring of quality numbers, etc, consider the following
- The MCG article #3.1 "How To Define Perfect Service"
- The MCG article #3.7 - "Succeed With The Service Economic Chain"
- On strategic models that help all employees understand what we are trying to do and what we believe in consider:
- MCG article #5.8 "Make Employees Strategically Motivated"
- MCG article #3.7 "Succeed With The Service Economic Chain"
- On how to afford premium wages for a job niche consider:
- MCG article #5.2 "Pay 150% to Get 200% Output"
- On resuscitating TQM and succeeding consider:
- MCG article # 3.9 "TQM Resuscitation Tactics"
- MCG article #3.5 "Earn High Returns With Heroic Recoveries"
- MCG exhibit entitled "Process Engineering x Services under the "Articles, Exhibits" section
- On employees being customer niche smart consider:
- MCG article #1.2 "Growing Profits Not Necessarily Volume"
- MCG article #2.3 "Measure Customer Profitability and Act"
- On systems that ask employees to continue to improve and hold up their end of the premium employment bargain consider:
- MCG article #5.10 "High Performance Distribution Six Key Systems"
- MCG article #5.7 "Personnel Systems for Hiring and Keeping the Best Employees"
- On preventing top-down syndrome from creeping back into a high performance environment consider using bottom-up anonymous surveys from the employees. A variation of this system is also known as "360 degree evaluations". Consider:
- The book entitled 360° Feedback by Edwards and Ewen. Amacom Publishers. 1996.
- The Bell Leadership Profile, Dr. Gerald D. Bell, P. O. Box 572, Chapel Hill, NC 27514. Ph: 919/967-7904, FAX: 919/967-3484.